Today, I got up earlier than usual to watch the Oscars telecast (yep, in my part of the world, the Academy Awards happen just around breakfast). I’m excited to see if my picks would win (some of them already have – yay, Jared Leto and double yay, Frozen) and although I know it might not happen, I want to see if my sixth grade crush Leonardio DiCaprio will finally get his first Oscar.
I was also excited to see the stars’ red carpet looks and to find out who turned to Deborah Lippmann to make sure their nails were photo-ready.
I was happy to see an incredible addition to Deborah’s awesome awards season duo of Best Supporting Actress nominees Jennifer Lawrence and Lupita Nyong’o. I will always adore Jennifer but man oh man, Lupita has really been rocking the red carpet with her incredible fashion picks. The Oscars was no different – I love her gorgeous dress. This time, aside from Jennifer and Lupita, Deborah also worked on the nails of Oscars host Ellen DeGeneres. I love love love Ellen (so far my favorite parts of the Oscars were here epic selfie and pizza delivery) and I got a kick out of imagining Deborah prepping her nails for the show. That must have been really fun.
During her acceptance speech (which was beautiful, by the way), Lupita had a great mani moment. Oh yes, La Vie En Rose looks great with an Oscar in your hand.
Here are the details of three Oscar-worthy manis, in case you want to try them at home.
The look: To complement Lupita’s gorgeous baby blue Prada gown, Deborah gave her pastel pink shimmer nails.
The polish: Deborah Lippmann La Vie En Rose, $18, deborahlippmann.com
1. Apply a layer of Gel Lab Base Coat to make the polish last twice as long as traditional polish, without the harsh gel lights.
2. Apply two coats of the pale pink shimmer La Vie En Rose, a new polish from Spring Reveries, Deborah’s Spring 2014 collection.
3. Finish with a layer of Gel Lab Top Coat ($45 in set wtih Base Coat, deborahlippmann.com)
The look: Deborah custom-created polish that would match Jennifer’s beautiful Dior gown by layering two of her classic shades.
Deborah Lippmann Sarah Smile: the city’s sexiest sheer pink, $18, deborahlippmann.com
Deborah Lippmann Tiny Dancer: sweet spot pink sheer lacquer, $18, deborahlippmann.com
1. Apply a layer of Gel Lab Base Coat.
2. Apply a single layer of Sarah Smile, a sexy, sheer pink.
3. Apply one coat of the sweet sheer pink, Tiny Dancer.
4. Finish with a layer of Gel Lab Top Coat.
The look: For her hosting gig, Ellen rocked a super glittery mix of Va Va Voom and Shake Your Money Maker. Of course I’m kidding. Deborah gave Ellen a natural look.
1. Deborah buffed Ellen’s nails, but not to a shine. She used Smooth Operator, a 4-way nail buffer ($12, deborahlippmann.com), shaping Ellen’s nails with side 1 and 2.
2. Finish by buffing the entire nail with side 3 for a casual, matte finish.