MUG SHOT: MEN WHO WEAR POLISH: STARTER SHADES FOR YOUR CURIOUS GUY

March 30, 2011 by pam

If you’ve been wanting to get your guy to start wearing nail polish but don’t know how, this post is for you.

If you’re a guy and you’ve been wanting to start wearing polish but don’t know which colors to start with, this post is for you.

The right bottle of polish can make a huge difference in a man’s attitude towards painting his nails. And no, don’t whip out that fuchsia – he might bolt out the door.

Here are Polish Police’s tips on getting your guy hooked on polish, along with swatches of some great starter shades.

1. Go for brands that cater to men. Like ManGlaze. And BB Couture for Men. If your guy realizes that the polish shade you want him to wear was really made for men, he might be more willing to give it a try. And the fact that these brands and shades even exist should prove to him (and to everyone else) that the concept of guys wearing polish isn’t as weird as some people would like to think.

This is BB Couture For Men’s Pipe Bender. This single bottle made me fall in love with BB Couture instantly.

bb2

I just love this green duochrome. The purple flash is awesome.

bb1

This was two coats. I now realize that I should have gone for three.

2. Go for black. You can’t go wrong with black. And if he resists, show him all the famous men who have rocked black nail polish.

Illamasqua Boosh

This is Illamasqua Boosh. I am in love with this black jelly.

3. Go for matte. Matte nail polish is guy-friendly – there’s no gloss to turn them off.

This is Zoya Loredana.

lore8

Guys will like this chalky charcoal.

lore9

This is MAC Military.

mil6

I freaking love it. It can even work as a one-coater. This color reminds me of freshly laid asphalt.

mil2

So macho.

4. Go for a matte top coat. You can transform any shade you have into a matte guy-friendly polish.

Not all guys will be willing to wear beautiful blues like Orly La Playa in their full glory.

orly2

But you may be able to ease them into it eventually.

In the meantime, bring out your favorite matte top coat (l like Essie’s Matte About You) and turn this fantastic shade

orly3

into a fantastic matte polish.

orly9

I can totally see my brother wearing this.

orly10

5. Go for your guy’s passions. If your guy loves movies, he might appreciate film-inspired polishes. Like this winner from OPI’s Shrek Forever After Collection.

shrek6

This is Who The Shrek Are You?

shrek2

Seriously, who doesn’t love Shrek? I do. And I love this polish too.

But if your guy isn’t into kind-hearted ogres and Stanley Kubrick is more his thing, he might like Full Metal Jacket from Nars.

fmj3

This sexy gunmetal shade would look great on a guy’s toes.

fmj1

6. Appeal to his inner little boy. Three words: glow in the dark.

You might want to skip telling him the name of this blinding shade of green from Santee though.

santee3

I’m not sure a lot of men would want to wear something called Vikini Green.

santee2

Viking Green is more like it.

7. Go for a manly name. Polish shades with macho names will have a bigger chance of being worn by guys than shades with names like I’m Not Really A Waitress or Sweet Addiction.

This beauty is Rescue Beauty’s No More War and it will always be in my top five all-time favorite polishes.

Rescue Beauty Lounge No More War

I just love it.

8. Don’t underestimate your man. Sure, he’s a guy, he loves sports, he digs cars, he’s oozing with testosterone – but that doesn’t mean he can’t appreciate polish just for being pretty.

ki4

Take a beautiful polish like Zoya Ki out for a spin and see how he reacts to it.

ki1

I don’t think anyone – male or female – can resist this duochrome wonder.

1. CJ says:

I’m a married guy and I modeled both Vise and Blue Collar by BB Couture on my fingers for the overallbeauty.com blog…the photos are still posted there from a year ago. I wore Vise for a day and got positive comments on it from women. Inspired by Jake, I wore Blue Collar on my toes a few times last summer. I’m really hopeful that men wearing nail polish becomes more maintream in the years to come. Quite frankly, it does compliment your appearance, male or female.

Hey CJ!

So awesome, it’s great to “meet” men who love polish. :) And you made me want to try Vise and Blue Collar too! I hope more men start wearing polish – they are really missing out!

• CJ says:

Thanks Pam! Innocent Nude by Sally Hansen is the color I wear everyday because it’s somewhat clear and natural. Plus, the modeling agency I work for part-time likes it on me and I always need my hands to be ready should they call me on short notice for a Saturday photo shoot. In a perfect world, I’d alternate several of the BB Couture men’s colors on my fingers, then change over to Innocent Nude when I have a photo session. But my full-time workplace (I too work for a newspaper) would frown on the BB colors. Oh well, maybe someday in my lifetime…

2. Jake says:

Pam – awesome choices!!! I think I even found a few new ones I’m going to have to buy now!
    You’re right, Pipe Bender is really cool – even better than it looks here because of the subtle purple duochrome.
    I really like Loredana – and La Playa with the matte topcoat is waaaaay cool!
    Full Metal Jacket is now a “gotta-have” for me!!!
    And yeah, Ki looks very intriguing. Most people would not naturally think of purple as a good color for a guy, but I think you have a very keen sense for this – it looks really cool – I definitely will try this!

Keep this blog going – this is the best source of great info for guys into nail polish that I have seen! :)

Jake!

Pipe Bender is awesome – photos don’t do it justice! It’s really crazy cool! Awesome, can’t wait to see you wearing Full Metal Jacket! And I think Ki would look fantastic on you too! :)

And yes, I will continue the men who wear polish love even after this week! :)

3. aoitenshi says:

Awesome choices! I don’t think I will ever be able to persuade my guy to wear polish though, but I will try. ;) I want that Mac Military! Very unique shade and texture!

4. K Wilk says:

Interesting blog post! My ex loved to steal my Chanel black satin and blue satin! He also loved Chanel Cobra but that was my favorite and only bottle so I never let him use it.

5. Geoff says:

I am a teenage guy and i want to start to wear polish but am too embarased to ask, what do i do? and i do love theese shades

Hi Geoff! I think it’s awesome that you want to try wearing polish – a number of cool guys do! If you’re still embarrassed to share your desire to wear polish with anyone, you can learn to paint your own nails. Buy a bottle or two of polish (you can start with ManGlaze or BB Couture for Men – they have some awesome shades) and practice!

Also, here’s a Facebook group dedicated to men who enjoy wearing polish: https://www.facebook.com/groups/244209989005036/257288057697229/

You’ll find some great guys there who can share with you how they got started :)

Have fun!

• Geoff says:

How do i keep nail painting ‘under wraps’ so to speak if im with my parents all the time which is who i want to hide it from?

• Jim says:

Practice on your toes and just wear socks around the house. You can also practice applying polish to your nails and remove it as soon as you’re done. This way you will get good at it before going out in public. If you’re going to wear it out, you want it to look good.

6. Danielle says:

Hey Pam, finally talked my guy into trying polish! He let me do his toenails but only after I modeled a silver matte from Man Glaze on mine. He wasn’t super excited about it at first, but he agreed to leave it on and even said it ‘was growing on him’ a few days later.
    Success – yay!! :D