If you’ve been wanting to get your guy to start wearing nail polish but don’t know how, this post is for you.
If you’re a guy and you’ve been wanting to start wearing polish but don’t know which colors to start with, this post is for you.
The right bottle of polish can make a huge difference in a man’s attitude towards painting his nails. And no, don’t whip out that fuchsia – he might bolt out the door.
Here are Polish Police’s tips on getting your guy hooked on polish, along with swatches of some great starter shades.
1. Go for brands that cater to men. Like ManGlaze. And BB Couture for Men. If your guy realizes that the polish shade you want him to wear was really made for men, he might be more willing to give it a try. And the fact that these brands and shades even exist should prove to him (and to everyone else) that the concept of guys wearing polish isn’t as weird as some people would like to think.
This is BB Couture For Men’s Pipe Bender. This single bottle made me fall in love with BB Couture instantly.
I just love this green duochrome. The purple flash is awesome.
This was two coats. I now realize that I should have gone for three.
2. Go for black. You can’t go wrong with black. And if he resists, show him all the famous men who have rocked black nail polish.
This is Illamasqua Boosh. I am in love with this black jelly.
3. Go for matte. Matte nail polish is guy-friendly – there’s no gloss to turn them off.
This is Zoya Loredana.
Guys will like this chalky charcoal.
This is MAC Military.
I freaking love it. It can even work as a one-coater. This color reminds me of freshly laid asphalt.
4. Go for a matte top coat. You can transform any shade you have into a matte guy-friendly polish.
Not all guys will be willing to wear beautiful blues like Orly La Playa in their full glory.
But you may be able to ease them into it eventually.
In the meantime, bring out your favorite matte top coat (l like Essie’s Matte About You) and turn this fantastic shade
into a fantastic matte polish.
I can totally see my brother wearing this.
5. Go for your guy’s passions. If your guy loves movies, he might appreciate film-inspired polishes. Like this winner from OPI’s Shrek Forever After Collection.
This is Who The Shrek Are You?
Seriously, who doesn’t love Shrek? I do. And I love this polish too.
But if your guy isn’t into kind-hearted ogres and Stanley Kubrick is more his thing, he might like Full Metal Jacket from Nars.
This sexy gunmetal shade would look great on a guy’s toes.
6. Appeal to his inner little boy. Three words: glow in the dark.
You might want to skip telling him the name of this blinding shade of green from Santee though.
I’m not sure a lot of men would want to wear something called Vikini Green.
Viking Green is more like it.
7. Go for a manly name. Polish shades with macho names will have a bigger chance of being worn by guys than shades with names like I’m Not Really A Waitress or Sweet Addiction.
This beauty is Rescue Beauty’s No More War and it will always be in my top five all-time favorite polishes.
I just love it.
8. Don’t underestimate your man. Sure, he’s a guy, he loves sports, he digs cars, he’s oozing with testosterone – but that doesn’t mean he can’t appreciate polish just for being pretty.
Take a beautiful polish like Zoya Ki out for a spin and see how he reacts to it.
I don’t think anyone – male or female – can resist this duochrome wonder.