CONFESSION: My first break :(

December 30, 2010 by pam

I’ve read a lot of stories about polish breakage on MakeupAlley. Broken bottles that arrived in the mail, bottles accidentally dropped, bottles knocked over by pets and kids. While I could sympathize, I didn’t really know what it felt like.

Because you see, as klutzy and as clumsy as I am, I’ve never broken any of my nail polish bottles.

Until two weeks ago.

I was shooting the bottles of polish I bought in the US so I could finally post about them.

I was taking pictures of the set of Nerds polishes on the bottom step of Jill’s stairs when tragedy struck.

break1

The bottle of grape polish rolled to the edge of the step, fell to the floor and broke.

I stared at it in disbelief.

It was a very short drop, maybe six inches. Why did it break?

I resisted the urge to cry (although I really did want to) and quickly picked up the bottle and disposed of it the way the girls on MakeupAlley taught me – pour the entire contents of the bottle onto a paper plate (I had none so I used the cover of a cardboard box), let dry and discard.

break2

It was heartbreaking. Because the purple one was my favorite of the bunch. Because I didn’t get the chance to wear it – not on a single nail, not even once. Because it was only after the break that I realized how pigmented it was. And because it smelled so freaking good. Like grape candy.

break3

Throwing it away was painful.

When I think about it now, I still feel like crying.

It hurts, it really does.

I’m sorry, Grape Nerds, I really am. I hope you are now in nail polish heaven.

1. amusedPolish says:

RIP, instead of sacrificing the polish, you could’ve poured the rest of it into an empty bottle :(

2. mymy says:

im so sorry for your nail polish loss!

3. Heather says:

Sorry for you loss. I recently suffered the loss of OPI – Fiercly Fiona and only got to wear it once.

4. Zara says:

Oh, I’m so sorry! But…Nerds nail polish? I had no idea they made Nerds nail polish! I want some really, really, bad now!

yes they do! if you have ross branches in your city, you will most likely find the set there… i got my set from FAO Schwarz in New York but the sets in ross are so much cheaper! there are pixy stix and laffy taffy sets too! but each set pretty much has the same colors so you wouldn’t need all three sets :D

5. Ida Pie says:

If that would happen again… (hope not) You could try wrapping the broken bottle in layers of plastic bag- til you get your hands on an empty bottle. It is worth the try. This of course depends on how the bottle brakes. If it is just the neck. Just press the “cap” back on the broken bottle and wrap. I did this with one of my bottles. And then decanted it into an empty bottle when I got one.

6. I’m so sorry for your loss!
    That was such a pretty color!
    Its in polish heaven, for sure!